so I'm a magizoologist now

I DID IT!

okay so let me explain. If you've been following my blog for a little while you know that I did the OWLs Readathon this year. Well if you know Harry Potter then you know that those aren't the only Exams taken by Hogwarts Students. They also take the NEWTS in year four or five (not entirely sure) and of course the lovely G from Book Roast is not only the Brain behind the OWLs, but the NEWTs, too. Oh and the best bit is, I took part in it! In this Readathon you can choose a Career path you want to follow after your years at Hogwarts. There are three Grades in each Subject, A for Acceptable, E for Exceeds Expectations and O for Outstanding, and there is a different Prompt for each Grade in each Subject. So to get your Dream Career, you'll have to achieve certain Grades in certain Subjects (G explains this all so much better so Ill link her video here for you). I chose Magizoologist, of course, so I had to achieve an O in care of magical creatures, an E in Charms and an E in Herbology. AND I DID IT! I even achieved more Grades than I had to which I am, can you tell? really chuffed about. Here they are now, all the prompts I achieved together with my Goodreads rating and what I thought of them.



N.E.W.T.s 2019

~Magizoologist~


 Care of Magical Creatures

A    Read a book that starts with A ~ Abarat by Clive Barker 
E    Read a book under 300 Pages ~ Ghost by Jason Reynolds
O   Read a Book with a Bird on the Cover ~ The Nightcircus by Erin Morgenstern

So let
's start with Abarat. I gave it a 2/5 and if I had to describe this book in one word it would probably be confusing. I liked how creative and really different the magical Creatures were, how the Fantasy part of the world was built and that some of the characters where really lovable. But then during the reading I thought the storyline was a bit out of order and not a lot of things made sense so I was really confused throughout most of the book. 
Now onto Ghost. This one I gave a 3/5 starts, pretty good book, nice story, it touches on deep things like fitting in, not having enough money and family problems which I thought was really nice. But to be honest, Its a book about running. Athletics and Running and thats just really not my thing.
Okay and now the last one of the three, The Nightcircus. I gave it 4/5 Stars. I heard a LOT about this book and thought It is about time that I read it because it just sounds amazing. A Circus full of fantastical things that only opens in the Night, a love story and a sprinkle of an unknown competition? yes please. Now, as I said I really enjoyes the story, loved the characters and the storyline was pretty good, too. The only thing and the Reason I gave it that Rating is that it can be a bit dry from time to time and with the time jumps it can be a bit tricky to keep in mind where you actually are at this point in the story.

 Charms

A    Read a Book with a gorgeous Cover ~ The Beholder by Anna Bright
E    Read a comic/manga/graphic novel ~ Spinning by Tillie Walden
O   Read a Paperback ~The little Brooklyn Bakery by Julie Caplin

Let's keep going with The Beholder. 3,75/5 for this one. Yes, I know how extra it is to give that kinda ratings but I didn't want to give it a three because I did quite like it but then at the same time, four didn't feel right so this is where I settled. I liked the story, really interesting and lovely, I cared for the main character and I probably will pick up the next one in the series, cause ya girl is intruiged!
And now onto Spinning. I gave this one 3/5 stars. You know when you read a Book and you just feel a bit bleh about it? Yah, that was me with this one. I didn't love it, but then I didn't hate it either. It was just, alright. 
I'm slowly but surely running out of things to say to start these sections. The little Brooklyn Bakery, I gave this 4,5/5 stars and it's actually the second one in a triology. I really liked it! Classic romance with the Bakery scene, a bit of finding yourself and trying to be brave in a completely new environment. Can't really tell you why exactly I took that half a point away because it would spoil you.. let's just say, there was one part I thought that could've been written better and that I liked more in the first book of the series.

 Herbology

A    Listen to an audiobook (or green cover) ~ Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
E   Read a book between 350 and 390 Pages ~ Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
O  Read a book with a Flower on the Cover ~ The little Paris Patisserie by Julie Caplin

I listened to The Clockwork Angel on Audio Book and it was a definite 4,75/5 stars for me. I think this is actually the best Cassandra Clare Book I have read so far, although I must say that I havent read them all, yet. Great Storyline, Loved the main character and the fact that its set in the 1900s is something I quite enjoyed, too.
Now on Girls of Paper and Fire I actually have a whole review up on my blog already, so instead of telling you that all again I'm just going to link it right here.
Okay and last but not really last so just for this subject last, The little Paris Patisserie. I rated it 2,75/5 stars (yes, I'm still extra). It's the last one in a little triology and to be honest, probably my least favourite out of all of them. I loved the setting in Paris and that it took place in a Patisserie, but I catched myself being annoyed with the main Character just too many times and the love story I thought was just that bit better in the other two books of the series.

Arithmancy

A   Read a Book that ends on an even Page number ~ a Wrinkle in Time by Hope Larson

This one I gave a 2/5 Stars. I
've heard a couple of things about it, got intrigued and went into it without really knowing anything about it. Now, one thing you should know about me is that I'm not the biggest Sci-Fi fan. Maybe I just havent read the right Book for me yet, maybe It's just really not my thing, I dont know. But space themed books and me are usually not working that well together. Well, this one was really spacey. I also didn't really liked, or cared much for the main characters, which really didn't help either. I did thought the art style was pretty cool so there's something.

 Potions

A    Read your friends fave ~ Fence Volume 1 by C.S. Pacat
E    Read a Book with your House Colour on the Cover ~ Giant Days Volume 1 by John Allison

So now that I was in a full on Graphic Novel mood, I picked up Fence Volume 1. I gave it a 3/5 stars. And then Giant Days Volume 1, which I gave 2/5 Stars. Quite liked in both that they had LGBTQ+ representations in them and then well, fencing is just pretty cool isn
't it. Now the reason I gave each of them that specific Rating is, well, to be honest I can't really remember.. I read both of them almost a month ago at night when I wasn't able to fall asleep and I rated them both straight after I finished. I can remember that Fence was alright and that I didn't like Giant Days as much but, yah, thats pretty much it.. sorry!




Okay so that are all of the Books that I read in the Month of August. As I told you, it was quite a stack, but I
'm really happy with myself for achieving what I wanted and even going further and reading more. Not going to lie I really wish Magizoologist would be a real thing.. but then, don't we all secretly wish Magic would be real?
Have you been participating in any readathons lately? If so, I'd love for you to tell me about it in the comments or over on one of my social medias!

Love, Aria


Other places where you can find me

twitter https://twitter.com/ariawithbella
instagram https://www.instagram.com/ariawithbella/
youtube https://www.youtube.com/ariabadger/
Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Goodreads Aria Badger

Comments