four books I picked up on a whim (and liked)

Its Saturday and I really want to write something. You know when you feel that tickle in your fingertips? That urge to be creative and let the words flood out of you? But then you don't like any idea you have of what to write about. Just me? Okay.
Well I looked over to my bookshelf and then thought about top 5 fantasy? no. My recent reads? nah. Then a book caught my eye and I thought, hey this is one of my fave books and I haven't read it in ages. And then I remembered how I picked it up on a whim and my idea was born. Four books I picked up on a whim. To be honest, it was five at first but I couldn't really remember if I picked that one book up on a whim or not so four it is. Okay so that really doesn't sound that spectacular now but hear me out, I actually really liked all of them! And I have a little story for each of them, too.





how to find love in a book shop // veronica henry

A long time ago, when I started falling in love with English books, I'd always go straight for the English books section in the book shops me and my mom would go to. This one I can remember was one of two I had in my hands and I couldn't decide which one to take so I didn't take either. This is kinda the story of my life.. But then back home I couldn't stop thinking about this specific book and I regretted so much not getting it that I ordered it online and now its one of my all time favourite books and I always recommend it if someones searching for a heart warming story, perfect for book lovers.

the song of us // emma cooper

This one I remember I picked up together with an edition of paper towns by John Green. I had twenty bugs to spend in a bookshop after a pretty painful teeth appointment, yes I reward myself with books, and I saw this book displayed with a couple of others in the middle of the bookshop. It caught my eye because well first, it's english and they don't always get displayed that well in german book shops, it's got song in the title which, I don't know just really caught my eye and also the cover is really pretty. And I was really sold on it when I read the blurb. I mean the main character is called Melody! (All people who have seen little mermaid 2 and loved it as much as I did will understand me) And she has a condition that makes her sing when she's nervous so I just had to read that. After reading it now I have to say though, its more sad that I expected it to be but I still love the depth and the closeness of the mother to her children in it.

five years from now // paige toon

On the day I picked this one up I had a job interview for an internship in the same bookshop that I picked it up. I got the internship, they didn't want me for a real job though but that's another story. Anyway I heard lots of good things about Paige Toon, I loved the cover and I really liked the fact that this book is told in five-year time jumps. So the first chapter is when both characters are five, the next they are ten, then fifteen and so on. And I love that. Also the Cover is quite pretty so that helped, too. I loved the story, the romance is adorable and I really cared for both of the characters which is what I think really important.

the mermaid // christina henry

so this is my most recent pick up on a whim. I actually picked this up on my Brighton Trip in Waterstones, can I just say that I love that book shop? It's soo amazing! So I browsed the fantasy Books and stumbled upon this and firstly, the Cover is gorgeous. I love reading whimsical magical stories about mermaids, okay this is the first one but I loved it. And when I read the name P.T. Barnum on the back of the Book I knew I had to have it! If you don't know who P.T. Barnum is, he is the founder of one of the first circus ever and I discovered his story through the film The Greatest Showman, which is like one of my absolute favourite films. This Book definitely has a way deeper and darker turn to Barnums circus and isn't as fantasy heavy as you might think with the whole mermaid thing going on. It also gives you a whole new perspective on the circus and also Barnum himself which I think is really interesting.

There are probably way more books that I picked up on a whim and loved but just can't remember now. Some people actually don't like picking up books like that, because they have pages and pages full of recommended books they want to check out before and I get you, I have that too. But I also think it's such a great feeling to just go into a bookshop without anything in mind and coming out being really exited for the gem you just found and then to recommending it to all your friends (or in my case, to you). Do you like picking up books like that or do you stay to your lists? And have you read any of my picks, yet? Would love it if you'd let me know in the comments or through one of my social medias.

Love, Aria


Comments