girls of paper and fire by natasha ngan


spoiler alert, badass female characters coming atcha!

I heard about this one on some booktube channels and picked it up simply because I liked the cover which isnt a good reason I know but Im glad I did. I had no expectations at all going into it and only really roughly knew what its about. I didnt read through it in one sitting, but I kept looking forward each time when I picked it up wanting to know which way the story developes.

The book follows the fate of the young Lei, who is part of the Paper caste, the lowest ranked and most persecuted people in the whole of Ikhara. Seven years ago her mother got taken by some of the kings Warriors. But now they want Lei, the girl with the golden eyes, to become a Paper Girl.
Over weeks in the Palace, she and eight other girls learn the skills and charming attitudes to please the demon king and his needs. Trapped and unable to know if shell see her family ever again she falls in love. But she is a Paper Girl, the property of the King. Her love is forbidden and so she must decid how far shes willing to go for Love, Justice and Revenge.

~Rating~

Story                                        4/5★

Characters                                 3,5/5★

Couldnt put it down                          3/5★

Goodreads rating                             4/5★

Trigger warnings: sexual assault, violence 


I really enjoyed it, as is visible by the ratings. I loved the character developement, not only in Lei but in a few other characters, too. The growth and developement of the story is gripping and I really started to care for the Paper Girls and their stories. I also enjoyed the LGBTQ+ representation which I didnt expect and what deep topics the author picked up on in this story. The World is also really fascinating and actually pretty cool. As it is a high fantasy it all plays in the Land Ikhara and there are not only humans called the paper caste, but also two other castes. The Steel caste, part demon, part human with only certain animal features and then Moon Caste, the highes ranked people who are fully demon and I pictured them looking very animal alike but with human behaviour and slight human features. But natasha ngan is doing a way better job in explaining her world than Im trying to do right now. Just let me tell you that its slightly asian inspired and very beautifully written.
There is also a sequel coming out soon, which I definitely will read and hopefully enjoy it just as much as I enjoyed this one.

Ill definitely reread this book at some point and would recommend it to all book worms who are in a true fantasy mood, like I am right now, and love to escape deeply into a whole different world.

btw, Im currently participating in the N.E.W.T.s Readathon by G from the channel book roast, would definitely recommend checking it out if you love Reading and Harry Potter!


thanks for reading guys!

xx Aria






Comments