the incredible journey by sheila burnford

spoiler alert. Its not like the 1993 film.

I found this book in a Waterstones in Brighton and I immediately had to pick it up. I LOVE the 1993 film Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, which actually is a remake and not the original story. I had no idea that it was a book! I spend most of my Life calling Sims Cats Sassy and Dogs Shadow, I loved that dog, and I had no idea that its based on a book!



So the story is set in Canada and tells us about a bull terrier, a labrador and a siamese cat who belong with the Hunter Children. As the Father, Jim Hunter, got a job offer for several months in England they sadly had to leave their three pets in the care a family friend, John Longridge.

Longridge grows very font of the animals and so it hurts him to leave them in care of his neighbours when he goes on an annual hunting trip with his brother. The faithful animals only now that they must get back home, somehow back to the Hunters. So the journey through the canadian wilderness begins and they fight wild creatures, exhaustion and hunger to get back to their owners.

~Rating~

Story                                    5/5★

Characters                            5/5★

Couldnt put it down             2/5★

Goodreads rating                 5/5★

I loved this book quite a lot. It wasnt one of those that is that good that you cant put it down and read it all in one sitting even though it is a childrens book and only about 140 pages long but that might also have been because of the massive heatwave thats currently going on, Im melting. Anyway, the story was quite different to the film that I love but close enough so that it really gives me all the emotions and nostalgia. The Characters are really clever and creatively thought through, I hate when authors give pets such dull and boring personas but not in this case, oh no. Liath is the big leader, Tao fights dangerous creatures and Bodger never gives up, how ever bad the Situatuion might be for him. I really fell in love with the three pets and honestly, this is one of those books that I will cherish and treasure until Ill give it to one of my children to enjoy.

Would I recommend it? Heck yes. I think every pet lover will have a good chance of falling in love with this story.

thanks for reading and stay awesome!

xx Aria

Comments