the art of writing

 Books are Art. That for me is just a fact. But sometimes Authors show me that there is art and there is ART, you know? There is Art that is just there and you know it is like the picture you drew in kindergarten or the painting in a museum you just can’t work out what the artist wanted to show with. That’s both art. But then there is this specific kind of Art that makes you think “wow, this is ART”, that just speaks to you on a way deeper level. Okay I’ve written the word Art down so many times now that it looks weird. My point is that with every one of these books I had a moment when I thought “this is Art”. Not because of the cover, although they are amazing, too, but because of the way the Author decided to write it.

So if you love beautiful writing, these are definitely for you x

 


The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

This is the book that started this idea. It is probably the most beautifully written book I have ever read. Beautiful writing for me sometimes means it is written in such a particular way that I have to read some pages two or three times to truly get it, which is fine though. It was the case in this book and I really didn’t mind it. Really it just made me dive even deeper into this fantastic story. I mean, a world behind secret doors with what seems like thousands of rooms, a sea without water in it, books everywhere and cats basically always by your side? Yes, please. (Although I wouldn’t have minded a dog in there, too.. just saying) This world is literally my dream so please can Max paint me a door so I can slurp some tea at the Harbor please? (You’ll get these references as soon as you read the book)

Now I only need to tell you what this book is about. I mean, I already gave you an idea but just in case you want to know more, it’s about the Labyrinth of Tunnels far beneath the Surface of the Earth that I mentioned earlier. You gain entry through a variety of doors, which can be EVERYWHERE. Zachary Ezra Rawlins is looking for his own door, without really knowing it. When he finds a special book in his campus library that has a story about him in it! Signs of a bee, a sword and a key lead Zachary to a mysterious society, new friends and his own special story.

 

Ill give you the sun by Jandy Nelson

This is definitely way less magical and mysterious as the last one, but I still think it is absolutely unique and beautiful written. I actually just reread it marking all of my fave pages with washi tape (I used a LOT) and it reminded me of how much I love this. Coming of Age, finding yourself, LGBTQ+ rep, battling with grief, misunderstanding and jealousy. This book is told in alternate chapters of Jude being 16, and Noah being 13. The cool thing is that theyre twins, so it jumps back and forth in timeline which might seem confusing and weird at the beginning but trust me, it works! In the beginning they are inseperable. He being the artsy, quiet one falling in love for the first time, her being the daredevil and social butterfly who clashes a lot with their mother. Then something happens that changes everything and roles seem to switch. I love how you always only get half of the story, so either Judes or Noahs and you end up rooting for both in a way that is incredibly unique and Ive never found that before in a book.

 

The Boy, the mole, the fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy

Okay so you could say that this one is art because its half pictures, half text. True, but its so much more than that. You can read this story about a lonely boy, a cake obsessed mole, a quiet fox and a strong gentle horse from front to back or just dip into it just anywhere to have a really meaningful side that will truly touch your heart. The pictures in it are, of course, brilliant and beautiful, too. Just trust me and pick it up.

 

The Shack by William Paul Young

Now this one is either going to move you or, well, not. I was never really a Jesus Person/ Believer in God, but I read this book after a good friend of mine gave it to me. And, let me tell you, it is a hefty one. Im not sure any book made me cry that much. I also had to reread certain parts multiple times to really, really get it. And I still don’t think I really got everything. But don’t let that discourage you! Im absolutely certain that this is one of those books you will read multiple times and gain something different every time you read it. It is at parts beautiful, heartbreaking, interesting, thoughtful and lovely. It just is, like I said, a real hefty book.

Oh and I watched the film together with my friend after I read it and let me just say. Perfect film adaptation. Really, really great. And I sobbed pretty much all the way through.

 

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney

This book. THIS BOOK. Okay so let me start with me picking it up at the airport on my way back from London this January. I had to choose between both of her novels and as everyone is talking about normal people (which I haven’t had read at that point either) I decided to pick up her other novel. One Thought I had straight away after finishing it was: “Wait. What? WHAT? This book is A LOT!” The Story revolves around main character Frances and her bestie Bobbi, who once had a thing with each other but not anymore and the two girls meet a semi-famous couple. That’s all I knew in the beginning, but it is SO MUCH MORE! Firstly, big trigger warnings for self-harm, self-destruction, suicide-thoughts and affairs. Is affair even a trigger? Well if it does trigger you in some way, don’t read this book. I loved the writing style in this book, definitely did not understand everything she wrote in there about politics but I kind of just feel smarter now having read about it, you know? I just cant really describe this book other than it is A LOT! Really would recommend reading it, its super interesting to be inside Frances head, who has major mental health issues and deals with them on a day to day basis.

 


 

Comments