a star is born //unedited



You know, every time I heard about this film, it was about how great and awesome it was. And how everyone and their Mom should watch it. That the Soundtrack is brilliant. Why oh why did it take me so long to watch it? I don't know, I honestly don't.

Just in case you have no clue what I'm talking about, sorry have you lived under a rock?, I want to tell you the things I knew before watching this film which was as follows:
a famous singer, maybe country, played by Bradley Cooper, discovers a young women with a beautiful voice, played by Lady Gaga, who thinks of herself as ugly which is the Reason why she doesn't sing and the guy helps her. They might fall in love.

That's it! That's all I knew! And honestly I think that's more than enough so go RIGHT NOW and watch it! If you have the time to read this, you definitely have the time to watch the masterpiece of a film that A Star is Born is.

NOW SPOILER AHEAD WARNING NOW SPOILER AHEAD WARNING NOW SPOILER AHEAD WARNING NOW SPOILER AHEAD WARNING NOW SPOILER AHEAD WARNING

okay so now that you've been warned, I can begin gushing about how much I adore this film. First, the (and I don't even know if its called like that properly that's how much of a film nerd I am) Title Screen. It feels so old school, vintage and just really cool, in like an "found my new fave flanell at the Thrift Shop" way. Then Secondly, he falls in love with her in a Drag Bar! How flipping cool is that? Don't even get me started on the fact that she sings La Vie En Rose and the scene where they meet eyes for the first time. aarghaaaaah! I just can't it's too good! I also love how absolutely ridiculously awkward he was asking her if her eyebrows are fake and if he could pull one off hahahah! I LOVED that Scene! I promise I won't go through the whole film scene by scene here but there are just so many good ones.

Like the parts where he tells her to turn around just so he could look at her one more time and she moves her finger from the tip of her forehead to underneath her chin across her nose, i loved that one.
Actually, Let's talk about the Characters now. I could honestly, really relate to Ally. I never felt pretty in my own skin. And due to a lot, and I mean a LOT, of hard work, I don't always despise what I see when I look into a mirror now, which is a real good start. Anyway, back to topic Ally. She hates her nose, was told that because of that she'll never be able to make it in the showbiz (rude) and that's probably why she hides behind a fassade of fake eyebrows, painted hair and this whole French Girl attire on Stage. But she's strong, damn that girl has spice in her you wouldn't believe it. And I think Jack saw that straight away. She is just such a pure, kind, beautiful soul who just got a bit too swallowed up by the world around her.
Now, Jack. Let me just say this first, I loved Jack. I think he is just as kind and beautiful a soul as Ally is. Him being awkward, bit childish, kinda needy, sometimes jealous and just over the top cute (I'm thinking of the Scene where Allys Agent asks Jack where his drink is and Jack asks him back where his socks are, I mean YES BOY SHOW HIM). Yes, I am aware that hes a dude full to the brim with problems as being an alcoholic and drug addict. But he shows, again and again, that he is willing to change. That he wants to change. I mean he even went to Rehab after the Grammy Peeing incident. And he cried out of Shame because he couldn't believe he'd done such a thing. But at that point it wasn't "just alcohol" anymore, it was an actual illness, which I don't think many people realize that it can be. I honestly believed in Jack and Ally. Lets talk about them together. He made her so much stronger, shoowed her how he sees her and that everyone should see her like that and I'd like to think he always wanted to tell her that she is perfect. Bare faced, Natural hair, her Nose, her Eyes. Perfect. And in the beginning she listened, oh how she listened and sung and showed herself to the world. And then the Agent came. (To be honest, I can't remember his name, I'll just call him the Agent here). But lets backtrack one sec, Jack and Ally. They were as if made for each other. The same but so different. She showed him love and a Home and Family. They had a flipping DOG!! His Name was Charlie and he was adorable. I think she showed him what it means to be truly happy, settled and to feel save. They gave so much to each other, but there still was so much more to give.
Okay now the Agent. I despise him. (I really try not to use the word hate anymore cause I don't want to spread hate, so I use despise, which I'm not sure is that much better but it sounds way better in my head this way.) He comes up, promises a heck ton of good stuff to Ally, including that he would make sure she stays herself, which she doesn't, and drawing a big ol hateful gap between Jack and Ally. Honestly, I think its the stab the Agent gave Jack that gave him the last good reason to do it in the end. I was heartbroken, naturally, throughout many scenes of this Film and I cried many times. But other than a couple of years ago I no longer think that every good story needs a Happy Ending. This one clearly didn't have one and I adored it.
Okay the best comes last, the songs. I listened to Shallow beforehand, just because I heard about it being great and i love that song, but in context with the film it gave me so much more. So many songs in there like Always Remember Us this way or I'll never love again just gave me full on goosebumps, the heartaches and I started tearing up. Other than usually there are some songs in here that Im not a bif fan of though, but I think in these specific circumstances its good, okay let me explain. Ally started singing and writing songs in a really specific way, right? And as soon as she started with her contract it became more and more popstar like just as she did with her style and way of seeing some things. Yah, I am not the biggest fan of those songs, stuff like "why did you do that", sorry but thats not my cup of tea. And that's okay because it's not about me loving every single song (and i loved pretty much all the other songs) its about Allys musical journey she goes through. By the way can I just throw in here that I love Jacks style of Music? And I'm usually not a Rock Fan but his rough, smoky voice and the lyrics are just great, i love it. Anyway I really appreciate that they didnt just cast the typical famous singer and singer to be but voices that are really really unique and different, i love that diversity. And just for your curious folks out there, La Vie En Rose is currently playing in my Room and I'm definitely planning on purchising the Vinyl of A Star is Born for myself.

So if you actually made it this far into the mammoth of an essay this is, THANK YOU!
I really appreciate you and would love to hear what you think about that Film, did you love it? Did you not like it at all? Why? Tell me I really want to know.


Unless you get out there and try to do it, you'll never know. That's just the truth. If there's one reason we're suppose to be here is to say somethin' so people wanna hear it. So you gotta grab it and you don't apologize you don't worry about why they're listenin' or how long they're gonna be listening for. You just tell em what you wanna say.

- Jackson Maine, A Star is Born

xx Aria


PS: I also decided to make a little unedited series on here where I just dump out all of my thoughts without going over them again, which of course means there will be the occasional typo here and there but it also makes things a lot more raw, dont you think? also saves me a ton of time so..

Comments